On last night’s Q&A, former NSW Premier Bob Carr said he believed the country’s state and territory governments were of diminishing importance. He predicted that within decades, the state governments would be reduced to a mere five portfolios, with the remainder of responsibilities taken up by federal or local governments.
Based on Bob’s track record, I suspect the five ministries he had in mind where:
- Department of Corruption and Bribe-taking
- Department of Under-investing in Infrastructure
- Department of Selling Public Assets at Ridiculously Low Prices to Macquarie Bank
- Department of Planning, the Environment and Overturning Any Regulations That Might Inconvenience Property Developers
- Department of Spin, Hypocrisy and Emergency Services
Any other suggestions?